As it is well-known, the activation of latent slag in blended cement is implemented by calcium hydroxide (CH, Ca(OH)2) which is the main cause maintaining the high pH value of pore solution.
The activation happens as the break of glass layer of slag particles. However, how does the break take place in detail? Researchers have already proposed a theory to explain the process, which will be discussed in the post. The main composition of glass is SiO2, thus the break of glass layer is actually the break of chemical bond between Si and O (Si-O). In the first step, the bond Si-O is broken by hydroxyl,
Then the other part of broken bond Si-O- further react with water (H2O), as the following reaction equation,
By the second step, hydroxyl is returned. The break of Si-O bond is finished. Therefore, the two steps can be combined into one equation,
From the overall process, it can be seen that hydroxyl acts as activator and is not consumed.
This is the theory which explains the activation of slag by CH in slag blended cement.
- How much is the bulk density of hydrating (blended) cement paste?
- Sample Preparation for Quantitative X-Ray Diffraction (XRD/Rietveld)
- Determining the Amount of Reacted Slag in Blended Cement Using EDTA Method
- Concrete made with slag improves resistance to fire damage
- Does particle size of slag influence its reactivity?
- Published literature data on the reaction degree of slag
- Methods to measure the reaction degree of slag in blended cement
- Factors influence the reaction degree of slag in slag blended cement
- Features of microstructure development in the inner product of reacting slag in blended cement
- Features of microstructure development in the outer product of reacting slag in blended cement