Among the conferences taking place every year on cement science, International Congress of Cement Chemistry (ICCC) is almost the most important one. The conference takes place every four years. The latest one is the 13th ICCC hosted in Madrid Spain in 2011 and the next one 14th ICCC will be hosted in Beijing in 2015. During the 13th ICCC, there were more than 900 participants from over 60 countries all over the world, received more than 400 papers on cement science, which cover 9 subjects:
- 1.- Production process chemistry and engineering
- 2.- Sustainable production
- 3.- New cementitious matrix
- 4.- Hydration and microstructure
- 5.- Hydration and thermodynamics
- 6.- Modelling
- 7.- Properties of fresh and hardened concrete
- 8.- Concrete durability
- 9.- Standardization
When reading papers, I saw numerous researchers refer to the information from the papers of ICCC, unfortunately, those proceedings of earlier age are not easy to find, since they are no digital version (like PDF files), or they are not open to the public. Even for the latest proceedings, you have to attend the meetings to get the proceedings, but the cost to attend these meetings is expensive or at least not cheap. What is even worse is that every meeting is definitely not available for all people in the field, due to the difficulties such as travelling and time schedule.
The purpose of conference is to gather people who are interested on some issues in the same field to discuss and share latest results. As a result of meetings, the proceedings paper is a good media to store and spread these information. So we should make these proceedings open for the related researchers rather than close them for a small group of researchers, which is not the REAL Science, Science should be OPEN, and must be OPEN.
I have attended the 13th ICCC thanks to the financial support from my promoter, and got a digital proceedings of the conference. I think it is a good idea to share them with you who are also a researcher on cement science. Just click the link Proceedings of 13th International Congress on the Chemistry of Cement to download them onto your computer or copy the whole folder to your DropBox account.
Share them and make science OPEN.
- Sample Preparation for Quantitative X-Ray Diffraction (XRD/Rietveld)
- 3D printer to print a house, is it the future of cementitious materials?
- What is Cement Mixer Shot?
- Sample preparation by McCrone Micronizing mill before XRD/Rietveld test
- Processing of Granulated Blast Furnace Slag and its applications
- Kinetics of cement: Degree of hydration or Degree of reaction?
- Overview of global cement price 2012
- What is cement and its history?
- Microstructure development of limestone blended cement
- Low reactivity and reported reaction extent of limestone in blended cement